Animal Farm

15 March - Isn't it amazing what everyday of our lives bring us? When we get into a different environment, we're tuned in different mode. Sometimes we get passive, sometimes we get aggressive.

Work does do a lot to change your pattern of livelihood. It has been six days I'm helping out at my parent's restaurant. I am staying at the hostel with the workers. Wahh ada experience duduk macam ala squat! :) The hostel is on second floor of the commercial building lot. The rooms are compartmentalized into a few rooms which the walls are made from plywood, so every single conversations, snoring, slamming doors, foots steps, ringing tones, and simultaneous radio stations aired in each rooms are shared as daily music to our ears. *Sings Solidarity Forever*

Even though I do enjoy working and staying with the workers, I do terribly miss my friends, bicycle and internet!! Now food is in my mind all the time. I'm surrounded by food! The hanging BBQ ducks~ Ducks are the specialty of this restaurant. I'm struggling to avoid the temptation and politely turn down offers to have this rare delicacy in my meal. I eat tofu and veggies a lot these days instead. I'm so lucky that they have tofu. Having surrounded by food, I noticed that I'm constantly hungry. Drinking sugary drinks like ice Milo doesn't help my blood sugar level. It spiked as fast as it inclined making me more hungry than before. I feel stuffy. I'm the cashier and I get to sit on my job but sitting for 12 hours gives me butt cramps. I have to be cautious of the money flow and everyday I'm counting thousands of them. One mistake could lead to disaster. I always panic at the closing time because of the casual discrepancy. Where can I fork up the money to cover the discrepancy if there's any! Weekends are the most busy. Families come and dine together. On peak hours, the place will be packed with people from all over. People from as far as Penang came to eat after they seen the TV interview about the restaurant.

Music from my small notebook, books, zines, and some casual interaction with fellow workers are the things that make me stay sane through the job.

A few things that make my day were the customers and animals around this area. There's this one old grandfather who is a regular at our restaurant. He loves ducks. He would wait in front of the restaurant before it opens each morning. He orders ducks everyday and eats twice daily at the restaurant. He'll definitely eat BBQ duck on either time. Morning or evening. There's something about the way he eats those ducks. Maybe because of his age, he wants to enjoy everyday eating his favorite dish. He doesn't have all his teeth I think and he takes his time chewing his food. The precious expression on his face of joy and heaven having savor each bones of ducks. He would close his eyes and chew away. If the restaurant were to advertise on commercial TV, he would definitely get the job done right without audition needed. Mmmmm... kalah KFC .

Alive animals are seen plenty on top of this hill.(I said alive because there are plenty of dead ones in the restaurant). Fishes in the aquarium are waiting to be eaten. There are a lot of birds especially pigeons basking at early morning warmness. A family of cats come in and out of the restaurant where food is abundant as though claiming their territory over the leftover. Mosquitoes bred rampantly and flourish in the forest nearby. Dogs are taken for walks without leashes. There are three beautiful golden retrievers in this area. They run freely because there are no traffic. The most interesting was seeing a family of wild boars coming out of the woods! There were six or seven of them. It is my first time seeing wild boars. From the stories I heard, wild boars are huge but they are not. They are small and a bit fury. I'm not so sure about the color though as they only come out at night. I think they have poor night vision because they react only by sound. Everyone at the restaurant stood from their seats to watch these creature. Was these piggies convicts from the nearby zoo? It's a puzzle that need not be solved. Napoleon from Animal Farm does exist! haha

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top tintamanis. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.