International Women's Day

9 March - Amnesty International Malaysia had organized a Women Reclaiming the Night inconjuction with the International Women's Day. The whole event was organized at Bukit Bintang. They had a march before the performances at Cloth & Clef. Two of my favorite band performed that night - Overdose and The Pips. Other bands and singer song writers were also invited. So were some poets. The place was packed with people. Diverse this time. A mix of friends and activists from NGOs and punks. A good mix of gender as well.

Hana and I came early so that we could beat the crowd for the seats. We usually stand but this time there was too many people. We would rather seat and wait for the last two anticipated bands we intended to come see. Earlier that evening, before coming over to the gig, Hana got busy choosing her costume for the performance. She had chosen a pale pink dress with a maroon tshirt inside. The dress was spilled with red rose concentration to resemble menstrual blood that usually considered a taboo to reveal that period of the month in a women's life. Shhh.. it's supposed to be a secret!

As we went out, the reactions from people's faces when they see blood stains on Hana's dress were priceless. We stopped by at a photocopy shop before catching the bus to kl, there was a young couple who giggled with each other and the girl covered her face as a sign of shame. Her red face said it all. They must have muttered something like, don't she know? Why didn't her friend told her about the stain? It was a bloody sweet heavy spill...... Yeah... it is her first day kids. Every billion women are having it.

I always find it fascinating that Hana always without fail try to prepare as much as she can for the performance to get the messages across. She would always prepare a few days before the gigs that The Pips would be performing. Panicking which costume she should wear. Finding words to recite to explain their songs. Constantly having panic nervous attacks before each shows. I really adore her~ I like bands that try to put in something new. Like the former band Ciplak, Crimescene and maybe Mossuraya from Sweden which I didn't get the chance to see!! Crossdress! Pheeewitttt! Me loikey....... Errr nudist? Hmm.. The demand for Crimescene is undeniably for their cute butts. Hahahaha.. sorry guys from Crimescene.. after the gig in C&C the other day, the fans totally dig your act of going nude. You were in the flesh REAL!

I hope someday I get to see bands in animal costumes! That'll be freaking awesome..

I had spread what had happened yesterday to as many friends that I've met that night so that people know about the issue. All of them were shocked to hear the incident. Fellow cyclist were outrage. And I do felt some kind of solidarity spirit when they gave me encouragement and words of disgust towards the mat rempits. Sexual violence is not a matter to be silenced.

Arip brought books about feminism. A thick book called Sisterhood and another smaller book about influential people like Emma Goldman. All this in the spirit of feminism. Sharing is caring. He said he talked to everyone he knew about the incident, ppl at his workplace, cyclist friends and his housemates. You're just so sweet!

The Pips has gained attraction from chaotic crowd to mosh with their songs. They sound more and more fast and their songs had become familiar anthems for the fans to sing along to. Imagine that... From mellow acoustic folk to folk punk. Gila lah!

Our dear friend Yuen had already pecah this time. He was totally wasted! His spectacles was smashed in the sea of people moshing. He couldn't get up at the end of the show. Somehow I do get a feeling that he is in some sort of emotional rut? I heard rumours about his mom's illness and that he's constantly worried. Adding to this, he is also having his final exams for his Masters. I hope you can cope with it Yuen. You are stronger. Everything will be alright...

Overdose, what can i say about this band is just TOTS AWES! The vox was really wicked! I saw a video recording of their show at Kelana Jaya and she was just so superb in a white dress stage diving! Comelnya! She has this high pitched voice. Sultry and loud. Heck! Heck! As she always shout.

I've always find it confusing when I look at stuff for sale. I would wonder which zines are good to read, which bands to check out, the endless flowing of new talents just amazes me.. And I always get that wishful feeling that I would someday put out my zine as well. I think I am a bit worried about putting my words across because for some reasons, writing does open up a can of worms and reveal yourself to the world. Maybe self esteem plays a huge part to get that zine published. Maybe I'm not punk rock enough. I really like personal writing and skill sharing zines. I admire Coathanger Revolt's zine. I feel the writing from kid and other female writers were really awesome. Same goes to Brainscan issue #21. The author writes about her experience with her former activist husband. She writes about power dynamics in a relationship which I could really relate to my own previous relationships. She touches issues of what her husband who seemed to mirror her conscience and ideals had impaired a lot of things on her emotional as well as psychological well being because of the underlying power dynamics in their relationship. Imposing hyper critical behaviors and lack of deeper emotional connection empathy. Egoism and self centered personality. Some people often forget to check themselves when they have advantages on their side. They are seen active and could easily portrayed as the righteous ones but when it comes down to relationship, the balance of emotions and to differentiate between love over power, they had failed miserably.

Get your own copy of Brainscan at RICECOOKER SHOP. (Mat Nor, ni iklan just for you for always updating new zines to me and in support of Ricecooker Shop~)

So we left C&C and got back with Aziman's car together with Boy and Kelly. Boy did not recognize me with my veil. It has been a long time since I last saw him. He was still with Nena at that time. I saw this Mass Separation's bassist/guitarist at the BuyAndSell website selling his bicycle last January. I laughed seeing his picture with him riding a yellow fixie. Masih panjang dreadlocknya...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz penat.

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top tintamanis. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.