Overdose + Psycling + Sewing Circle + People from The Garrison

So I'm here at The Garrison's dwelling. Everyone's still asleep right now. It's 9.30 a.m. I had a very bad gastric attack that woke me from my sleep and that has only been since 5 a.m. I had to find something to munch on. I knew those biscuits that was taken from the big hamper given to us during CNY would come handy somehow.. I couldn't sleep and had to distract myself from my pain with some light reading. This place is like a palace for punks. Shit their computer doesn't have Microsoft Word for me to write this to help me with my grammar and spelling. They even banned that huh? This table placing the computer is too short hence too close for the eyes to see the screen. I'm complaining because I'm in a bad state of mind. Or else I would be chirpy to be here. I'm in so much pain!

Was it the heat from the day before that had triggered the gastric? It has been a long time since I cycled through the highway. For two sweet days it had rained yet on the day I wanted it too it won't. Life is cruel. (Photo : Columonimbus)

Was it that I had skipped lunch yesterday? Was it that I had too much isotonic drink?

Was it the sms I got from my mom asking me to reconsider living outside because I'm bumming and got my bicycle back for that matter? I would never consider bicycle as a hobby as she demanded me to. I would rather not pay near 10 bucks just to get my poor ass around using public transport.  I would rather buy a CD / a zine / pay for gigs / buy fucking 10 colors of threads for that matter. I would rather eat with those 10 bucks than continue to support the fossil fuel more than I have to (when ever I can avoid it). I'm sorry.... I’m trying to find my way mom...

Is it okay to write about people's houses? This house is weird. It is a flat/apartment where in a single unit consists of two floors. It's like a double storey house in a flat. Once inside you won't know you're in a flat. I don't really know what the term for it is. It's really cozy here. Sort of reminded me of the old new Sunway punk house minus the mural/grafitti on the walls. They are a bit more creative and hung banners with stencilled of bands and famous icons instead (The Clash!). I think it is to avoid having to repaint if they were to move out someday which hopefully won't happen. I later found out that Abang (the bassist from The Garrison who was also an artist for that matter) is the one responsible for these artworks. I see it is true that what Arip had told me the other day about Apeng's obsession with calendars. They are everywhere. Well there are four so far I've seen. I wonder why so.... I should ask him someday.

Now it is about 3 p.m (continuing to write), Arip and Apeng had gone to work in the morning. Abang came back to do some work with Styrofoam. He made spiral shapes that imitate the traditional wood carving of the Malay style bunga kerawang without the bunga. He said it was just for fun and would put the three pieces of the work somewhere in the house. Rajin gile. We had a good chat with him and hit a couple of Atari Teenage Riot songs to muse our ears. We left the house at about 5 p.m for Yuen’s CNY open house in Shah Alam.

Working at a major bookstore does have its advantages. They housed about more than hundred copies of books. Mainly ranging from music to veganism. The rare kinds which would be too expensive but they got it off with staff prices. It is like free cataloging. All the range that most of you would like are available. I got the crochet book from Arip!!! Thanks Arip! Hana got the herbal medicine book to add in her witchcraft collection. I think if they were to open a mini library like Black Rose Library or Jura, they had half of what it takes. Maybe combine with the FNB house books a bit coz they have more art books. All these dreams/wishes to someday have a multipurpose space. Library+Music+VeganCafe.

Talking about bumming and wishes, I had a chat with Hana the other day about how to sustain oneself by still able to do what one loves. We both thought of something what we might do to achieve that. Since gigs seemed to be an equally good place to get music and meet friends, energy spent on the extreme nights must be replaced with fuel which is food. Thus we have decided to fill in that need by selling exactly that. How about vegan/vegie burger sound like to you? They are easy to make, carry and distribute during the jammed packed occasion. I'm also thinking of soy drink to go along with those juicy burgers. Haha am I writing this in a manner of excitement or just plain hungriness? CROSSES FINGERS! (suddenly realizes that this phrase some how might be my sewing collective's name which the other meaning is HOPE and kinda have that double meaning as a straight edge thing.. ye meh?)

I really hope this works out. Need to plan things through. Find the recipes for the patties and the bread with vegan ingredients. In a conversation with Arip in YM the other night, we sort of got into the veganism / vegetarianism topic in a new light. We both shared how it is/(was for me) like to be vegie in this meat eating society. What worked and what sucked (dilemmas). We had a session of doodling online. Doodled about the topic of course. I think it was rather sweet when Arip drew Earthlings = a picture of him crying. He told me that he cried during the screening of the documentary. We also discussed how it was strange that some still consume meat after watching those docu (shit that includes me). I gave my part of opinion which I thought that it was all a matter of brainwashing ourselves to hate meat just on the basis of the animals being treated before slaughter. The fact that the form of food (meat) we received from our end of the plate had been "cleansed" from the bloody truth. The hunger we feel constantly and the system that provided the satisfaction. I don't eat meat that often though this is no excuse. I wish I'm as courageous and strong to fight off the urges and guilt. I still have this stigma that I need the protein from meat (fish mostly). Living under the roof of people who does not participate in the same ideology and understanding as you is a bit limitating although what goes in your mouth is your choice. Bummers can't be choosers. Having had a bad experience being vegetarian for one and a half year doesn't help. Dizziness and fatigue. I know it is a lifestyle choice that needed special research, guidance, high sense of awareness, responsibility and will. I will get there... soon. Got to get my shit together.

Cycling is another factor that needed to be considered where energy is concerned. I had cycled from Seksyen 8 to my house at noon yesterday to get some stuff. The sun was fierce that afternoon. It had absorbed every last bit of liquid from which ever source it can reach with its heat. No it wasn't a drought. It's just me on wheel forced to go under this extreme condition. I find that it was a big mistake to cycle during this time especially after Friday prayer. It was dangerous as there were many motorcycle and cars on road this time of the day. I hate the intersection that diverges. I had to wait for vehicles to clear to cross to the other side which at this time with this many vehicles, took me ages to get across! I had to wait under the scorching sun for nearly five minutes in the middle of the highway... This I had to live with if I want to cycle in Malaysia. There will be better cloudy days...

Yesterday Noisy Studio hosted a gig with a touring band named Overdose.. I adore the femme vox of the Overdose band and Killieur Calculator's performance. They were just amazing.

The Pips!
Lama tak tengok them perform. They opened the night with Hana giving a little intro and act about how cruel this world is. The act of ripping off a toy monkey’s chest and letting the stuffing out represented how it would be much better for us if we’d just let out and share our feelings and thoughts because it is no use to suffer alone when you have friends by your side.. The bassist, Yoyo, had just got back from Golok just to be here for the band. Ekin who wore a light blue Minor Threat t-shirt “lead” the band with her sweet jazzy guitar riffs. Alak and Cem, the two gentlemen in this tough pink band whom had been with the band from the start, gave their best performance throughout the 5 songs played. I miss the band so much~

Killieur Calculator
– guitar electronika with their own groove. They are definitely a band to watch out for. One of the best local bands I’ve seen. Not at all monotonous thus arouses you throughout the entire set.

Overdose – Superb. The vocal sounds so much like Karen O from Yeah Yeah Yeah. She was so nice to everyone that she gave their CDs and stickers to whoever that talked to her. Such a big voice contained in a humble leng lui. I would Die with You.

Other bands were Pusher and Atomic Death. Marr got violent in the mosh pit. She now has a bruised cheek bone. It happens. You go girl!

After the gig was over, some friends from Massa Kritikal wanted to ride to Genting Sepah for their weekly ride. We didn’t join them because we want to go to Arip’s place to crash (The Garrison’s house) since we’ve promised to hang out. Plus we had our ride earlier that day.. No energy oredi~ Owhhh I found a girl who knows kickboxing!!! Lili, you're my idol~

The people who live in the house are nice people. They had fed us reggae music from Jamaica that night. I heard someone said that Apeng would put on reggae music every single day without miss. It’s like his breakfast and air to breathe.  Arip shared his zine Radical Review which he claimed to be the anonymous author but was exposed by a friend in Ricecooker’s website. Nice try. He said this year; he’s going to work on the zine for its next issue after realizing he’d been slacking for the whole 2009. I’m thinking nak menyelit. Boleh ke Arip?

I have managed to sell patches! Yay! Thanks for those who bought them. I will dedicate myself to produce more of these cute things. Hopefully a collective will form out of this obsession. Sewing circle - it has been spoken about. It’s floating~ floating~ floating.. One step at a time..

Okay this entry is going everywhere... It’s the gastric pain I tell you. It’s making me nuts! I’m constantly struggling with the pain.. I need to get to the clinic if it persists for a couple more days. I will try to limit the words and carry on writing this blog entry. So many things happened. The best part is saved for last......

Cycling from Pandan Indah to Shah Alam

Have you ever cycled long distance and let your mind wandered? I found this experience very rewarding both mentally and physically. I had thought of few wonderful ideas about a few things while I cycled yesterday.. I will share about it later lah. Having carried a spray can was like having a b-o-m-b. Under the overhead bridges made perfect spots to spread messages and words.

The word that starts with the letter (A) is our horror nightmare which gives us the chill although being fully aware that it can happen anytime anywhere regardless being on two wheels or four. Hana got kissed by a car when she tried crossing over to the other side of the road to get to the other intersection. She said she thought the car was slow and that she could make it after having calculated the distance and speed in a matter of seconds. Maybe it was a bad move or just plain luck that the car wasn’t that fast and managed to break upon hitting Hana’s bicycle from the back. She miraculously managed to land on her feet during the collision. She was so lucky to go off without any injury as the impact was minor. The driver of the car got off his car asking whether she was alright and drove off after she claimed stability. I screamed seeing her being hit! I could’ve sworn that I practically threw my bicycle aside the road and got to her. She was cool though.. We sat at the intersection to check on her bicycle for damages and for Hana to gather her strength to calm down. Everything was okay. The bicycle and Hana. After that I kept reminding us to recite the holy words (Bismillah) before beginning our journey. Panic siot!!!

After having cycled for about 5 hours, sampai jugak akhirnya to Yuen’s house. A few close friends were there... Alak, Ekin, Diana (Ekin’s sis), No-e (Ekin’s friend), Onie (Pusher’s bassist) and Cem Cem! I was so exhausted from the ride had to excuse myself to rest. They were enjoying themselves with games, special drinks and the fluffy centre of attention, Yuen’s lil sister’s dog, Bell. They made her wear cheongsam! Emm.. I don’t want to go into the details. Yuen seemed very happy having his friends over. They were too, getting ang pows from his mom and booze from his dad. Thanks Yuen for inviting us.

p/s: will upload photos soon.

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top tintamanis. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.