Rice Above #2 - Birushanah in KL


Yesterday I came down from Mantin to Hana’s house to assemble my bicycle. I had to wash it first as it was dirty! The chain and cogset were covered with black oil and dirt. I miss you Gajra! This was my first experience assembling and meddling with bicycle parts. It was surprisingly exciting to mess with the bike parts. Although lacking with tools and knowledge, I found it to be empowering for girls to get their hands dirty. The only thing I was unable to figure out was the alignment of the wheel. Need to get to the bicycle shop to fix it but the shop was closed due to CNY holiday. The excruciating wait! Baru je nak ride ke Cloth & Clef.

We got a lift from Kelly to get to the Birushanah touring gig. As soon as we’d arrived, Think Tadpole Think was playing their first song. I know I will do this each time.. Reviewing new and old bands in every single blog entry after each gig. TTT was awesome! The vocal was very expressive and very much a performer. He was all over.. from playing didgeridoo, bass, turntable lp, diving on the floor, tearing his nice collared shirt bearing his chest. Wearing white gloves makes his hands visible through out the performance. Their songs were very very catchy experimentalish. I know it now that the band that gets to play first always has this heavy burden to warm up the crowd. In which case, they had succeeded with greatness.

(A) band called Khayal performed after. This band did not had the bass player that night as he was stuck somewhere in traffic. The front line was Bart (Aghast) as vox. I think this was the first time I’ve seen him perform since I know him as a didgeridoo basker. He was freaky. His voice was freaky to me. Not to mention his face expression. Talk about intense. Was Khayal a new band? I’m not so sure. Mirdza played the drums. Their guitars blew me away. Ganaz gila.

Kah-Roe-Shi was next. Taken from their blog - Firstly took formation sometime in 2006 with the name Union Of Slaves. Kah = excess, Roe = labor, Shi = death, translated literally from the Japanese as "death from overwork" or occupational sudden death. Musically characterized by unrelenting heavy crust hardcore and human-system-hating lyrics. A collective of system hating armchair revolutionaries. The guilty comrades (not in hierarchical order; as it supposed to be abolish!): kid: vocals, tiong: guitar, vocals, fahmi: bass, zul: drums. That night they wore white shirts with hand painted words in red which reads something like a downfall of something or death. It was supposed to be a gimmick however hippie it maybe.. They threw flowers to the crowd. The Jasmine flower, which is often associated with cemetery and death. This band has good reviews in several zines. They are superb! Marvelous.. Viola~

It may appear strange when you don’t really know a certain person as a performer or in general. Abang Zai was in that persona. I never heard of him. It is kind of fun though to have a bit of solo performance once awhile. It gave me the chance to sit down during his performance. Actually, he was all the way from Singapore. He was supposed to perform with Joe Kid and Bullet. The Abang Guard. They play groovy kind of experimental sound highlighting Abang Zai’s guitar riff. You should’ve seen Bullet. He was fast to hit those snare and tom toms! They don’t call him Bullet for nothing. He was an unstoppable force. All these while Alak had overshadowed/hid him by being in front with the mic. I had never really seen him play up close and this intense. The drummer always gets lost on the stage.

The moment that we were all waiting for had came when Birushanah got on stage. This sludge metal core band is from Osaka, Japan. As written in their Myspace intro, they said they used many Japanese traditional scales with fretless bass. The amalgamation of Japanese sounds was deliciously magnifying to our ears. It was not that somewhat soothing, it was more than the ocean crashing onto the rocks. You’ll hurt badly especially when you stand beside the speaker! I had specifically chosen the spot, as I wanted to “hear” and see them up close without getting in the middle of the storm in the mosh pit. They were downright brutal. The drummer was in the spotlight with his buff sweaty tattooed body. The crowd went wild for the powerful trio. The head bangers with long hair got most of the front row glorifying this mad occasion. Who knows what goes on at the back of the room. I was very much immersed in trance. This is sick. Now my ears will wring the thin buzzing sound echoing the quiet. Birushanah encored after the crowd’s request.


A photo with the band's drummer and vocal/guitar. The other was missing.

Once again another satisfying gig.


Seems to me that anarcho punks with patches swarmed the place making the place pitch black as ever. Arip was there! We had promised to visit his house and chill together but did no such thing because of our clashing schedules and other lame excuses. He steal holds the book for making crochet that we asked from him. We’ll hang out someday Arip.. When my bicycle’s fixed and the sky is clear. We’ll make you a crochet!

Many friends were there… Baglo who others and I had noticed to be skinnier had said that I looked nice with the veil. Thanks for the compliment. I know it was the cheongsam I wore. Psychedelic. You are confused. Wojtec was in town! And I never knew he could speak Bahasa. He looked like he had plenty of sunlight. Cher stood out with her corn coloured hair. Goldilocks. She came with Glen. Niesa yang comel pun ada. The cyclist made their presents known too by littering their bikes in front of the entrance. This Friday I will park my bike with The Wild Dogs in their home ground but won’t Overdose. See ya.

p/s: photos curik dari Shieko's FB in Ricecooker Shop group page. Thanks.

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top tintamanis. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.