A day with the third sister

A day at third sister's house gave me to get closer to (her). It was really funny to have several third "sisters" who are guys. Often we would hang out and there had been one guy friend with us and we’d call him our third sister. A few of them was Cem and Luka. Yuen is one of them. He always said things as though we are being separatists when we grrrls get together and he was the only guy there. I feel that is a weird thing to say because whenever guys get together and there’s a girl there, it won’t matter. And that’s normal. Hence the birthday card we gave him yesterday after the gig at Cloth and Clef.

Yuen’s place was a minimal and cozy small flat house at Kajang. He lives there so that it’s easier for him to get to class at UPM. He’s taking his masters in Anthropology and Sociology. He said he’s doing a thesis on punk rock culture and community (or at least that was the idea conveyed to me as we spoke) which I think is great! It will definitely highlight things that are not known or neglected in the atmosphere of the whole scene. I’m really keen to read it when it’s finished. Caiyok Yuen!

He had load of books to keep us entertained while he was away for his class today. It was like finding a treasure chest. I’ve borrowed a book titled Undisciplined Theory by Gary Genosko.

At noon he was back from his class and had bought food. Briani Rice. We watched the U900 songs on YouTube over and over again while we eat. It’s an addiction. U900 was insanely adorable! They are made out of crochet and played the ukulele. Both are the things in my checklist to learn. COMEL!!

I asked Yuen to help getting my bicycle at Mantin since it was very near from his place. We also made a detoured trip to the Sungai Tekala at Semenyih. It was the waterfall which we had gone to during our all grrrls cycling trip last year. The place was very much empty due to the weekday. On weekends, the place would be packed with families that even pitched tents and set up fire to cook stuff. Indeed we had the place to ourselves that evening. Some mischievous monkeys were there as well and roamed the place as their own since humans were not present. They stole our food while we were in the water. They distracted our moments there thus made us be wary of our things. We had to watch them eating our food on the trees. There were eight of them and three of us. Yep.. we had been “bullied” by monkeys! It was their turf.

It was nearing dark when we got out of the forest. Off we went to my house to take my bicycle. It has been awhile my bicycle left disassembled. I was waiting for it to be transferred to Shah Alam when my family had moved there. Due to the busy schedule that both my parents were under, I had to ask my friend to help. Luckily Yuen was available to help and his car was big enough to fit Gajra – my bike!

After packing my bicycle onto Yuen’s car, we went to makan satay at the nearest restaurant! It’s the famous dish of marinated meat on skewer that’s grilled with splash of sugar and oil which is the most delicious in these parts of town. Later we went to Hana’s house to send her and temporarily keep my bicycle there. It was then that we had trouble opening the trunk of the car. My stuff was in there plus the wheel of the bicycle too. Yuen called his father and asked for help. His father suggested to us to try and open the back seat of the car but we had failed to do so due to the stubborn nut bolts attaching the seat to the car. So Yuen said he’s going to ask his father to open it tomorrow morning.

We hanged out for awhile at Hana’s house and Yuen told us about an experiment on human psychology that was performed on students in a university. The professor who performed the experiment was barred from the university and education ___ for two years or so but later received a noble price? For the experiment had significant contribution to human understanding on human psychology although how unethical it was. The experiment was about testing human behaviors when they were made to role play two sets of characters. One group as prisoners and the other as prison guards. Yuen explained that the outcome of the experiment was rather disturbing as the students were almost convinced and got seriously into the roles as they started to really enforce power over the weaker characters which were the inmates. This crazy state of mind over the power of these individuals had been “granted” was unbelievable but true. They suffered from mental physical and mental torture. It was a reflection of what was really happening today in prisons such as in Guantanamo Bay. I’m going to read more of this. Yuen said the video is available on YouTube.

Yuen lives near my house. It was so close that I could probably walk to his house if I wanted to. Yay! We’re neighbors. I’m imagining the projects and meetings we could do since we live so near by to each other now. We were talking that day of us forming a basketball team in Shah Alam. There are six people that we knew who live in Shah Alam. How about that? Most are cyclist. Critikal Mass in Shah Alam! I’m really happy and grateful that Yuen was able to help…. I had a really good day! I got my bicycle and got to know a friend a bit closer~

1 comments:

Unknown said...
February 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I wrote a reply but somehow it disappeared into internet nothingness! Oh well, I shall try again.

If you didn't already know, that psychology lecture Yuen told you about is called the Stanford Prison Experiment (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment).

Another really interesting psychology experiment is the Milgram Experiment (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment). Its an experiment to investigate people's obedience to authority. Like the Stanford Prison Experiment, the Milgram one would be seen as unethical but I think its a really good and interesting experiment.

There's a few other experiments from that era that were really controversial and these days wouldn't be allowed.

Psychology is full of really interesting experiments and stuff. Datang ke sini and kita shall pergi ke banyak psychology lectures di universiti saya. ^_^

I hope you're very very well!

Miss being a third sister so much! Tetapi saya harap balik in 10 bulan. You need to take me on basikal adventures!!


Luka dari Kampung Beverly Hills

Back to Home Back to Top tintamanis. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.